Choosing the perfect pair of men’s glasses is perhaps more important than you think. While your wardrobe may vary daily, your glasses typically don’t change and are worn at all times. Plus, glasses can become a large part of who you are. Today there are a plethora of men’s glasses to choose from. From the varying shapes and sizes to the different types of materials, the sheer amount of choices can be daunting.
While personal taste certainly plays a role, there are some general guidelines to consider when choosing the perfect set of men’s eyeglasses. We’ll go through various men’s glasses styles and offer tips on selecting the best glasses for men.
Best men’s glasses for your face shape
If you have no idea where to start when shopping for men eyeglasses, first consider your face shape. Here are some of the most common face shapes:
- Oval: An oval-shaped face is likely the easiest to buy glasses for as most frames will look great. Rectangle or square style glasses would especially look great to provide structure to those with oval-shaped faces.
- Round: If you have a round-shaped face, consider rectangle or square glasses. Men wearing ‘boxy’ style of glasses can sometimes look fairly ‘masculine,’ especially with a round face.
- Square: A square-shaped face features both broad jawline and forehead. To best complement this type of face shape, try on a pair of browline style glasses. This style of glasses would fit nicely as the angular top helps maintain structure while the circular bottom provides a softer contrast.
- Heart: The heart face shape is characterized by a broad forehead and a narrower chin. A rectangular set of frames offers balance to this face shape.
- Diamond: Those with a diamond face shape may benefit from a set of round glasses. Round glasses add a degree of softness, which helps complement this face shape.
Full rim, semi rim, or rimless?
Glasses for men are typically full rim, semi rim, or rimless. Below are some of the differences between the three.
This full-bodied style of glasses helps accentuate your eyes while giving off a sleek look. Of the three types, full rim glasses are the most sturdy. These glasses are perfect for those playing sports or with an active lifestyle.
Semi rim glasses consist of rims at only the top. This style of men’s glasses conveys a more sophisticated look. Since it is only half framed, it is not as sturdy as full rim glasses.
The most lightweight of the three, rimless glasses work for a more mature look. Its light weight makes for a very comfortable wear. At the same time, however, this style is also the most susceptible to damage.
The best frame shape
The best frame shape will depend on your face shape as well as your preference. As mentioned previously, your face shape plays a large role in determining the most suitable frame. But preference and the style you’re going for also plays a significant role.
Here are some of the top frame shapes, and when you should consider them:
- Square: With a mixture of retro and intellectualism, the square frame shape fits well for those with a round or oval-shaped face.
- Circle: Circle-shaped frames evoke a vintage and classic feel. Sometimes a little more challenging to pull off, but can complement square or even oval-shaped faces well.
- Rectangle: A versatile shape with the ability to fit on most face shapes. Great for men seeking the modern and sleek look.
- Aviator: This fashionable frame shape, once associated with aviation pilots, is making a strong comeback. Heart-shaped faces would especially benefit from aviators.
The best material
Here are some of the various materials that are common in eyeglasses for men:
- Acetate: One of the most popular materials for frames, acetate is a type of plastic known for its versatility and durability. It is lightweight, easy to mold, and available in many different colors.
- Metal: Likely the most used type of metal is titanium framed glasses. Titanium is lightweight and strong, allowing the frames to be thin and comfortable. The drawback to titanium is the higher price tag and the limited amount of colors available.
- Mixed: Some frames utilize a combination of metal and plastic. An example would be a frame consisting of plastic around the lenses and titanium for the temple pieces.
- Wood: Wood frames are unique and typically hand-crafted. Generally, wood frames are stiffer and less adjustable. Though beautiful and unique, wooden frames tend to be more expensive.
Tips for what to consider when shopping for men’s eyeglasses
Here are some tips to consider when shopping for men’s eyeglasses:
- Functional considerations. What are you using your glasses for? Is it for normal everyday use? Is it for night time use? Perhaps it’s for the outdoors? Choose glasses that are appropriate for your needs.
- Aesthetic considerations. Men with glasses can evoke a sense of sophistication or intellect. Some glasses give off a classic feel, whereas some are more modern and sleek. Look for glasses that match your own unique personality.
- Allergies: Certain materials may cause allergic reactions. For those who are sensitive, make sure you select hypoallergenic materials.
- Affordability: Different materials may cause for a higher price point. For example, aluminum frames will generally be more expensive. In most cases, you get what you pay for, however. Higher quality frames may demand more money, but will usually last longer.
Glasses do more than just help you see. The choice of glasses can be an expression of your unique personality. At Felix Gray, we offer a unique line of stylish glasses for men. Our advanced optical lens technology helps filter out Blue Light and eliminates glare. Choose from our optical glasses, sleep glasses, or sunglasses today!