Sleep is a key part of a healthy life. It gives us the fuel to get through the day, work, and everyday activities. We all know how a night of poor sleep can affect us. It makes us cranky, unproductive, and sets a negative sleep cycle for days to come. This is why it’s so important to make sure that you’re getting a solid eight hours every night. However, that’s often times easier said than done. We put together 5 tips to help you achieve better sleep.
- Stop taking irregular or long naps during the day: Sleeping during the day can offset sleeping during the night. If you’re sleeping for long periods of the day, then you’ll be wide awake all night. It messes up your internal clock and you can get all turned around. This may seem relatively obvious to most people, but it can be extremely tempting to lie down for an afternoon nap. However, try your best to resist this temptation because you will thank yourself when bedtime comes around. If you regularly take naps and also sleep well at night, then it works for you and there is no need to worry.
- Reduce Blue Light: Blue Light is emitted from the screens that we encounter in everyday life: laptops, iphones, televisions, and e-readers. We don’t even realize that this light impacts our lives in many ways including our sleep pattern. Most of us spend our days staring at a bright screen and we don’t stop until right before we shut our eyes for the night. This tricks our bodies into thinking that it’s still daytime and, therefore, not time to sleep. There are multiple ways to lessen the Blue Light in your life including less screen time, or enabling certain apps on your phone or computer, but the most effective way is wearing Blue Light blocking glasses. Felix Gray makes stylish Blue Light filtering specs that protect your eyes from impactful Blue Light. We also make sleep glasses that have even more of our Blue Light filtering technology in the lenses (which is why there’s a tint) to increase melatonin secretion and help you sleep at night. These are the perfect accessory to keep by your bedside to ensure that a good night’s sleep is in your future.
- Keep a Consistent Sleep Cycle: A key factor to improving your sleep is making sure that you are following a routine each and every night. This means going to sleep at a similar time every night and waking up at the same time each morning. Allowing yourself to slip into a consistent pattern will make you feel more rested when you wake up in the mornings and, therefore, more productive during the day. Then, you’ll be ready to fall asleep at the end of the day right at the time that you’re used to. When you get out of your routine, you feel disheveled, tired, and unproductive so it doesn’t set you up for success. Bottom line, keeping a consistent sleep cycle will make you feel more awake during the day and help you sleep better at night.
- Create a Relaxing Environment: There is nothing better than settling in for the night into a cozy bed with fresh sheets, lighting a nice candle, and listening to some relaxing music. All of these elements combined create a mellow ambiance that allows your brain to wind down and prepare for a good night’s rest. Going directly from a stressful situation to bed is not recommended because then you’re focused on what was happening before and not on getting to sleep. Therefore, it’s important to create a space where you can focus on yourself, watch a show, read a book, or meditate before dozing off. This is always easier said than done, of course, but it is a crucial step in improving your sleep at night. It becomes much easier to drift off to dreamland when you feel at peace and your mind is at ease.
- Exercise Regularly: We have all heard the many benefits of exercise repeatedly, but who knew that it can actually help you sleep better? Keeping with a steady work-out routine can contribute to an overall healthier lifestyle including feeling more well rested. Those with an exercise routine tend to sleep better and can stick to a better routine overall. It makes sense because a workout will tire you out, and making you feel ready for bed at the end of the day. You will then fall asleep faster, sleep deeper and feel more rested in the morning. Getting into the habit of exercising regularly is not only good for your physical and mental health, but it can also make sleep easier and better. If you needed another reason to hit the gym today, this might be it!
Sleep is what gives us the fuel to go on with our days and achieve our goals. Therefore, it’s incredibly important that we get the best sleep possible. With these tips and tricks, the greatest sleep is waiting for you tonight. Use these together or separately to ensure a great night’s sleep so you can have a great tomorrow.